Thursday 27 October 2011

SAD Times

Here's something because the clocks are going to be put back by an hour this weekend. British Summer Time (BST) comes to an end; dull old Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) begins, again.

I used to be affected by seasonal affective disorder (SAD). It's not so much of a problem these days. However, when I was working just outside Vienna a few years ago, I did feel that the sun went down a bit earlier during the summer than I would have preferred. I was then on Central European Summer Time - although I didn't know that that was what they called it at the time. The European time zone stretches a considerable distance. When the sun is going down in Vienna, it's still up in Vigo although there, it's the same time as in Vienna. What is more, Vigo is further west than London which is an hour behind.

A friend's husband is badly affected by SAD. The moment the clocks go back (to GMT), he goes into a form of depression which lasts until the moment they go forward again (to BST).