Sunday 29 January 2017

Bucket Lists

Is there a point to bucket lists? They seem to be lists of things to do before you die. Once you die though that list tends to evaporate with you.

January, being the start of a new year, it is the month of new year's resolutions and, I suspect, the formulating of new bucket lists - which like many (most?) resolutions will fall by the wayside.

A few years ago when I was in the Lake District, one could see lots of people walking up various fells and in so doing, ticking them off their list. So what? These are things one has done. They are of no relevance to anybody else. Unless one leaves something for others, what one does or did is pointless.

And yet, I have lists of my own (of sorts), so I should not sneer. Instead, I should offer a couple of relevant quotations that I have happened upon:


Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
Joseph Addison (1672-1719)


In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it.
Robert Heinlein (1907-1988)


In which case, may your bucket overflow.