Monday 11 November 2013

What are universities for?

In the light of the recent newspaper headlines entitled 'Towering Stupidity' - detailing the indiscretions of a couple of students studying(?) not a million miles paces from here: a story that 'went global' within hours - I have subsequently come across this quote in some notes I made a year ago.

'Universities are for two things: Thinking and Learning.' (David Osler)

I'm not sure which David Osler that is; I can't find the quote attributed anywhere - I am, instead, relying very much on the trustworthiness of a colleague who gave me the quote. However, whoever said it, it provides serious food for thought. How the learning takes place is something open to debate but the requirement for thinking - and by implication deep thinking - is paramount (as events have demonstrated).