Monday 11 March 2013

IWishIHads

I heard the following comment on the radio recently:

"Nobody on their deathbed ever said, 'I wish I had spent more time at the office'."

This was not the first time that I had heard this. However, this time it strongly reminded me of a time management video I watched many years ago. One of the few 'take-home-messages' I still remember from that video is that of the concept of the 'WishIHad'. The presenter asked his audience to think ahead to their deathbeds and look back over their lives and list the things that they might be wishing that they had done: things about which they might say 'I wish I had ...'. The point being, of course, to make that list now - rather than when it is too late - and to act upon it.

That being the case, perhaps the first thing one might do is turn the comment I heard on the radio around and say 'I wish I had spent less time at the office' and act upon that.

(As I write this, I am spending a day away from the office. After all, I've got things to do and I want to get them done - and get them done well!)