Friday 17 June 2011

On Being Dyslexic

I am a dyslexic. As such I fall under the label of having a disability - at least in the eyes of British employment legislation. In a meeting of disabled staff some time ago, I remember saying:

"I wasn't disabled before I came here. It's the nature of the work that disables me."

The job I originally came to do has had considerable changes imposed upon it since I first arrived. Instead of being primarily a lecturer who is also engaged in research, I now have, like all my colleagues, a heavy burden of administration. Paperwork, form-filling and record keeping are not strong points of mine. They do not suit my condition or the way I am. Those of my colleagues without dyslexia struggle and often make a mess of what they are supposed to be able to do. What hope is there for the likes of me? We have certain skills and abilities that boring admin. can so easily quench.