Friday 5 February 2010

The world as if mirrored

Even though there are things I do with my right hand, I consider myself to be naturally left-handed. Certainly, I write with my left hand. A couple of years ago, I made a serious attempt to learn to write with my right hand. This was for no other reason than for the fun of it. Everything went OK but after a while I stopped trying; I just got out of the habit.
Recently, I had another go at writing with my right hand. My writing is still rather spidery but legible. I certainly have not miraculously become a right-hander in the interim. What is particularly interesting though is the feeling inside my head when I am writing with my right (or should that be 'wrong') hand.
I have a feeling of disconnection from the world; a feeling of being 'mirrored' or of 'mirrored-ness' – if that makes any sense. It's an odd feeling and not one that I can, perhaps, fully describe. However, I shall persevere with learning to write with my right hand. I now have two reasons to do so: just for the fun of it and now, the need to explore this strange feeling I get when I am writing with my wrong hand.